Sunday, July 17, 2011

Short list

When I saw the trailer for Gus Van Zant's Restless this week, I rushed to add the title to the list of must-see movies I keep saved on my computer desktop. I added it and then browsed through the list to delete some movies I've seen recently, only to notice Restless was already sitting at No. 15
Uh oh. When I start doubling up on listing films I would rush to the cinema to see I think it's time to narrow it down a bit. Starting with the aforementioned Gus Van Zant release, I am not sure what prompted its first addition to my list, but the trailer certainly sealed the deal. Restless focuses on the relationship between Annabel (Mia Wasikowska) and Enoch (Henry Hopper). Annabel, diagnosed with a terminal illness, falls in love with Enoch who spends his time attending funerals and with the ghost of a Japanese WWII kamikaze pilot only he can see. Van Zant's creative mind translates to complex, moving stories on screen and I hope he mixes in a silver lining to the plot of Restless.
Moving on to my next genre, Matt Damon (who was in Van Zant's Good Will Hunting and Gerry), has a role in  the Steven Soderbergh thriller, Contagion, due in theaters in September. A disease outbreak and the destruction it causes are at the center of the plot, which doesn't sound all that original. But the top-notch cast, including Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, Marion Cotillard and Jude Law in addition to Damon, should carry it through.
For films in theaters now, I am going to try to get out to see Page One: A Year Inside the New York Times or Beginners next and I am intrigued about whether Crazy, Stupid, Love will deliver when it drops in theaters July 29. It looks to be a rom-com but the ensemble cast, Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore and Marisa Tomei, is a step above most so I hope it doesn't fall into the standard formula of most love stories. Ok, so this list isn't so short anymore, but I think it's manageable. In the indie film realm, I'm of course anxiously awaiting Miranda July's The Future. And, The Muppets is my pick for animated fare mixed with real-life actors, Amy Adams and Jason Segel, who wrote the screenplay.
Finally, when it comes to action/adventure/comic books The Dark Knight Rises isn't due until next year but I've enjoyed all of Christopher Nolan's films in the series AND this installment has Joseph Gordon Levitt in it. I heard a sneak peak of the trailer is shown before the Harry Potter movie out now. I haven't seen any of the Harry Potter series, but could stand to watch it to get a glimpse of what Batman will be up to. Too many movies, too little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment