Monday, May 30, 2011

Trailer treasures

I didn't get to see any of the Memorial Day blockbuster releases last weekend (i.e. Hangover II) but my viewing needs were fulfilled by scouring the Internet Movie Database for movie trailers instead.
Miranda July's The Future is the most highly-anticipated film for me in the coming months, but I recently discovered several other strong contenders for a very exciting big-screen summer and fall.
George Clooney's The Descendants, about a father trying to re-connect with his daughters in the absence of his wife, is endearing and seems to be a good mix of comedy and drama. My favorite silver fox can do no wrong in my book, but I hope The Descendants will be a refresher from The American.
Then Take Shelter caught my eye as a thought-provoking thriller about a man with visions of doom and gloom that threaten his family's safety, or do they?
The IMDB powers-that-be hooked me in with those two, only to keep it up with a Joseph Gordon-Levitt release, 50/50. The role looks somewhat like Gordon-Levitt's performance in The Lookout, but a little more light-hearted.
Beginners, a 2010 release, is getting a lot of media buzz right now and I am interested to see Melanie Laurent in a post-Inglourious Basterds role. She stars as Ewan McGregor's love interest and their relationship is put to the test after family secrets are suddenly cast out into the limelight. I read that director Mike Mills incorporates some of his own life story into the film, which usually makes for a sound plot and script if the casting is done right. Even before the film's release, I have no complaints.
As if those titles weren't enough to add to my movie list, I wandered onto the IMDB Indie site after seeing a thumbnail for A Little Help. I am intrigued to see Jenna Fischer sans The Office again -- don't get me wrong I have no complaints about the Jim and Pam banter -- but I think she shows more potential on the big screen. Fischer delivered a solid performance as Michael Douglas' daughter in Solitary Man and A Little Help, where she plays a widow restarting her life and taking care of her 12-year-old son, could give her a cinema career boost.
I am glad there are films coming up that show promise on both the wide-release and independent film circuits. At least the above titles aren't out yet and I will have time to cross Incendies, Everything Must Go, and Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris off my list. So many movies, so little time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment