Friday, May 20, 2011

What would you watch if the world were to end tomorrow?

To be honest, I haven't read anything about this supposed rapture or end of world tomorrow, but decided it would be a good time to make a final movie list should I never be able to watch them again. This idea came about after a discussion with a coworker today, our priorities for doomsday are in sync, apparently.
IF the world were really going to end, watching movies wouldn't be a bad way to spend the last hours. I have a Netflix queue that is too long and many scraps of paper around my apartment with "must sees" written down, so I'd want to feel a little bit more accomplished in that realm before it all goes away.
I'd start by going back to my childhood with my favorite favorite cartoon, Friz Freleng's Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie. I'd have to find a VHS player by tomorrow, but they'll probably be falling out of the sky with the end of days and all. Then I'd move on to some family favorites like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Money Pit and Major League where the characters seemingly face catastrophes, but somehow survive. Moving forward I'd pick some titles that get my brain going and cause me to "think" about the real meaning of the plot, like Donnie Darko, Memento, Mulholland Drive or Requiem for a Dream. Those are all pretty heavy pictures, so I'll throw a little hope in the mix too with The Baxter, 500 Days of Summer and Lars and the Real Girl. To pay homage to my cat Fletch, I'd watch the best movie ever by the same name and then some Sixteen Candles to round out the 1980s. Finally, I'd have to pick something I've always wanted to see, but never got to. When I was 13 it would have been Kuffs with Christian Slater, because I had a huge crush on him. I've since crossed that off my list, so what will it be to end it all? My aforementioned coworker (and movie convo buddy) Debb and I thought a good final film should be something fitting with the actual world ending, and she suggested Fight Club. I'm looking at my DVD collection directly to my left and see it there on the second shelf, so I should be able to fit in a viewing as part of my final watch list. The best part is, the world's not going to end anyway, so I have plenty of time to revisit David Fincher's brilliant brain twister and then pick that one film I've always sought after but isn't coming to mind. Maybe I'll even make one!

No comments:

Post a Comment